Fixing blank charts on ambari home page (Hortonworks Data Platform)

I created a 4 node container based (Proxmox LXC) Hortonworks Data Platform 2.5 Hadoop cluster recently and all went well apart from all the charts on the Ambari homepage were blank or showing “N/A”, like this:

An outline of the environment:

  • 4 node cluster of LXC containers on Proxmox host
  • Centos 7 Linux OS
  • Nodes are called bishdp0[1-4], all created from same template and identical configuration
  • All containers are on network
  • DNS Server also available on same network and all hosts can resolve each other via DNS
  • Hortonworks Data Platform version 2.5
  • Proxmox host sits on a corporate network and the host has iptables set to allow the containers on to reach the internet via the corporate proxy server, e.g. for yum access
  • Other than the blank charts everything appears to be working fine

After much reading around it turns out that I hadn’t quite set up the proxy serving correctly, specifically that I hadn’t told Ambari to ignore some hosts, namely the bishdp0[1-4] hosts on the network, when proxying. I can’t find a 2.5 HDP version of the document for setting up the proxy serving for Ambari but the 2.2 instructions worked.

Steps I took to fix the problem:

First stop the services on the cluster. Log on to the node with the Ambari Server where I have a script called which I created based on part of this article. Thanks slm.

Run the script:


Now stop the Ambari agent on all the servers:

pdsh -w bishdp0[1-4] service ambari-agent stop

Now stop the Ambari Server:

service ambari-server stop

Now edit the Ambari environment script:

vi /var/lib/ambari-server/

Look for the line that begins “export AMBARI_JVM_ARGS” and ensure it has entries for the following parameters:

  • http.proxyHost
  • http.proxyPort
  • http.proxyUser
  • http.proxyPassword
  • http.nonProxyHosts

It’s the last one that was missing in my case, which meant that Ambari was trying to go to the proxy server even for these containers on the network.

After editing, the line looked like this (I’ve redacted the specifics – just replace the entries with values suited to your environment):

export AMBARI_JVM_ARGS=$AMBARI_JVM_ARGS’ -Xms512m -Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Dhttp.proxyHost=<proxy IP> -Dhttp.proxyPort=<proxy port> -Dhttp.proxyUser=<user> -Dhttp.proxyPassword=<password> -Dhttp.nonProxyHosts=<*.domain>$ROOT/etc/ambari-server/conf/krb5JAASLogin.conf’

Now restart everything, Ambari server first:

service ambari-server start

…then the agents on all nodes (pdsh is great – thanks Robin Moffatt for your notes!)

pdsh -w bishdp0[1-4] service ambari-agent start

And finally start the services on the cluster using the script.


After I did this, the charts started showing details:

Feel free to comment...