Running OBIEE Oracle By Example Tutorials against a database not called ORCL

I’ve been working with OBIEE for a while now, but I’ve not actually gone through the Oracle By Example tutorials, so I figured it would be a good idea to do that.

I started looking at the first Oracle By Example OBIEE tutorial yesterday and came across an issue with a simple solution to share with you.

The tutorials have a few caveats about what they expect from your environment, when you’re going to run through them – one of them being that you have access to a 10g database. What the prerequisites don’t specifically say is that unless your database is called ORCL, you’ll need to jump through a few more hoops – as I did, with my database called TEST.

I followed the instructions from the tutorial such that I had:

  1. An SH schema in the 10g database, with the standard tables and data Oracle supply.
  2. Created an ODBC Data Source pointing to a database called TEST, checking it functioned correctly.
  3. Restored the presentation catalog and updated the configuration files accordingly.

I then proceeded to login to the BI Dashboards which brought up half the display, but it was full of TNS errors indicating that the connection could not be made between the BI Server and the database where the SH schema resides:

BI Server TNS Errors

After some investigation in the Administration tool, I discovered that the Connection Pool setting was using a Data Source Name called “ORCL” which doesn’t match my TNS/Database called TEST, hence it couldn’t make the connection to the database:

ORCL Connection Pool

Now, the RPD was read only at the time, so I first shut down the services so it could be opened read/write:

BI services down

…logged into the Administration tool using Administrator user (Password Administrator), opened the SH.RPD file read/write and modified the Data Source Name in the Connection Pool from ORCL to TEST, whilst ensuring the password for the SH user matched that of my TEST database:

Change ORCL to TEST

…next I restarted the services:

BI services up

…and then logged on again, to find it all now worked:

TEST all working

Feel free to comment...